Located outside of Truckee, California, this former landfill site served as a municipal and construction waste burn dump from the 1860s to 1930, when it was abandoned. The main concern at the site was exposure to high concentrations of heavy metals, especially lead, which were present in the waste and debris deposits scattered across the site. This waste consisted primarily of burn-dump ash, which contained broken glass from bottles and dishes, cans, and construction-type debris such as partially burned wood, rusted metal, ceramics, and brick.
ERRG designed and built an on-site waste repository to encapsulate the waste. The project included constructing a temporary haul road, excavating waste material, depositing it in the repository, and capping the repository. The objective of the removal action was to allow the unrestricted reuse of the property outside of the boundaries of the repository.
ERRG completed confirmation sampling in the areas where waste was removed to confirm that the site could be available for unrestricted reuse. ERRG also installed and monitored down-gradient lysimeters, to ensure that metals were not migrating offsite in shallow groundwater.